We all have an important role to play in helping Harvard confronting the challenge of climate change.
Please help reduce energy this holiday break by taking five minutes to complete these five small actions.
- Students: Buildings are heated throughout the winter break to keep January term students warm. If you’re not one of them, do your part by turning your radiator all the way down.
- Residents: Set your thermostat back to 58 and make sure your fan settings are OFF or at a minimum set all the way on LOW.
- Staff: If you have an office thermostat, lower it to 62.
..in dorms, kitchens, and offices. “Phantom Loads” add up fast and can account for 8% of energy use per year!
- Power strips
- Computer/Monitor/Printer/Fax and Copy Machine
- Coffee Makers, Tea Kettles, Microwaves, and Appliances
- Task lighting
- What you can’t unplug
- Main lights if you're the last one out the door
- Storm windows, where applicable. Storm windows can prevent 25-50% of heat loss! Make sure they are locked!
- Blinds in your dorm or workspace.
- With your facilities team to learn your building specific shutdown procedures.
- Let your facilities team know if you see any leaky faucets/toilets or if you have any trouble with windows, thermostats, or lights during your shutdown.
- Students: If windows, storm windows, or radiator control is broken, please submit a work order.