Please help reduce energy this holiday break by taking five minutes to complete these five small actions.
Turn Down the Heat
- Students: Buildings are heated throughout the winter break to keep January term students warm. If you’re not one of them, do your part by turning your radiator all the way down.
- Residents: Set your thermostat back to 58 and make sure your fan settings are OFF or at a minimum set all the way on LOW.
- Staff: If you have an office thermostat, lower it to 62.
Pull the Plug
..in dorms, kitchens, and offices. “Phantom Loads” add up fast and can account for 8% of energy use per year!
- Power strips
- Computer/Monitor/Printer/Fax and Copy Machine
- Coffee Makers, Tea Kettles, Microwaves, and Appliances
- Task lighting
- What you can’t unplug
- Main lights if you're the last one out the door
Close and Shut All...
- Storm windows, where applicable. Storm windows can prevent 25-50% of heat loss! Make sure they are locked!
- Blinds in your dorm or workspace.
- With your facilities team to learn your building specific shutdown procedures.
- Let your facilities team know if you see any leaky faucets/toilets or if you have any trouble with windows, thermostats, or lights during your shutdown.
- Students: If windows, storm windows, or radiator control is broken, please submit a work order.