Top Three Reasons to Avoid Bottled Water
- The entire life cycle of bottled water uses fossil fuels, contributes to global warming, and causes pollution.
- More than 17 million barrels of oil are required to produce enough plastic water bottles to meet America’s annual demand for bottled water. - Earth-policy.org, “Bottled Water: Pouring Resources Down the Drain”
- “According to the Container Recycling Institute, 86 percent of plastic water bottles used in the United States become garbage or litter.” - Earth-policy.org, “Bottled Water: Pouring Resources Down the Drain”
- Bottled water is about 3,000 percent more expensive per gallon than tap water.
- Tap water: $0.02 per gallon
- Bottled water: $0.64 per gallon
- Harvard Engineering and Utilities and Poland Springs
MYTH: Bottled Water is Purer than Tap Water
- “Bottled water generally is no cleaner, or safer, or healthier than tap water. In fact, the federal government requires far more rigorous and frequent safety testing and monitoring of municipal drinking water.” -foodandwaterwatch.org, “Take Back the Tap"
HGSE students, staff, and faculty are reminded to refill their water bottles and reusable mugs for free at the filtered water stations and fountains across campus.