Just Food? Forum on Labor Across the Food System
This year’s Just Food? Conference will focus on labor in the food system, exploring the issues most relevant to those who grow, harvest, prepare, and serve our food. Participants will learn from a diverse group of food system workers, advocates, scholars, practitioners and other authorities, who will speak about their work on topics including agricultural worker rights, worker compensation in the restaurant industry, regulatory responses, and alternative ownership and operating models. Through the conference, we hope to shift attention toward a critical, but often overlooked, component of our food system: the workers. By amplifying the voices of those most embedded in our food system, we hope to educate participants, empower them to make positive change, and ultimately, work together to create a more just food system.
Keynotes speakers include:
- Sheila R. Maddali on discriminatory labor practices in the restaurant industry.
- Steve Hitov and Fabiola Mieres on the Coalition of Immokalee Workers Fair Food Program.
Panels topics will include:
- Fair compensation in the restaurant industry
- Migrant labor in the dairy industry
- Laws and regulations impacting labor across the food system
- Labor issues in the fishing industry
- Immigrants contribution to the US agriculture industry
- And more!
We do not want the cost of registration to prohibit anyone from attending. We have a limited number of registration scholarships available. If you feel the registration fee is a financial burden that would prevent you from attending, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject "Conference Scholarship." Please include a short paragraph about why you would like to attend the conference.
Early bird rates through March 1.