Join our team!
Sustainability Communications Officer
Sustainability Intern at the Harvard Kennedy School
Location: Harvard Square, Cambridge, Massachusetts
HKS seeks a highly motivated and reliable individual for a paid summer internship. The internship will begin on or around June 3, 2019 and end by August 30, depending on intern interest and availability.
The sustainability intern’s responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Conducting communications with multiple Harvard departments about sustainability issues
- Supporting implementation of community-focused projects, especially related to climate change education and health and well-being
- Improving the tracking and expansion of recycling and composting options on campus
- Collaborating with organizers of large events to implement more sustainable attributes, especially related to dining and green products
- Developing communications and educational content for incoming students and staff
- Expanding the Harvard Green Office program at HKS
- Reviewing, verifying, and updating existing spreadsheets, materials, and website content
- Coordinating research projects with HKS Sustainability Manager and Harvard’s Office for Sustainability staff
- Providing administrative support for HKS sustainability projects
- Demonstrated experience with advancing sustainability on campus or in communities
- Strong oral and written communication
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Work experience with college and university administrators on campus-oriented projects
- Flexible and cooperative work ethic
- Ability to succinctly summarize data
- Proficiency in Word and Excel
- Ability to work both independently and cooperatively as part of a team
- Ability to manage projects from inception through completion
Compensation: Commensurate with experience.
- Candidates should submit a resume, cover letter, and brief writing sample as Microsoft Word or PDF file attachments and send materials to Emily Flynn Pesquera, HKS Sustainability Manager, at Emily_flynnemail@example.com with the subject line “HKS Sustainability Internship”
- Applications will be considered on a rolling basis through Friday, March 8th. For the best chance of being offered the position, we encourage applicants to apply as soon as possible.
Please address the following questions within the body of your cover letter:
- Why are you interested in working on sustainability at Harvard?
- What experiences—work-related or otherwise—have you had on the topic of environmentalism, sustainability, or related topic?
- What set of skills or experiences have you had working within a college or university setting?
- What are you hoping to gain from this internship, and what would you like your impact to be at the end of the internship?
Harvard University is an equal opportunity employer and seeks qualified applicants without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, marital status, or sexual orientation. We strongly encourage individuals from diverse backgrounds to apply.
Please check back soon for more job opportunities with the Office for Sustainability.