We are excited to announce a new partnership between the Office for Sustainability and Harvard Human Resources—staff achievements in sustainability will now be recognized through the University-wide Harvard Heroes program, hosted by President Faust each June. Recognizing sustainability leaders as Harvard Heroes is a key “next step” in the effort to institutionalize sustainability across the University and incorporate “green” actions into the workplace culture on campus.
- Visit the Harvard Heroes page on HARVie to nominate your sustainability hero today!
On June 13, President Faust will host this year’s Heroes ceremony to celebrate the contributions of staff at every level and from across the University. Often working “behind the scenes,” Heroes are those colleagues who go above and beyond in support of Harvard’s mission and in doing so inspire us all.
As a result of this exciting development, the Harvard Green Carpet Awards celebration will move to a bi-annual schedule. Our next Green Carpet Awards Celebration will be in April 2014. This new schedule allows additional time for complex projects to not only come to fruition, but also be replicated on Harvard’s campus. The Green Carpet Awards will focus on team projects, as individual staff achievements will continue to be celebrated at the annual Harvard Heroes event. New categories for team projects are being considered, including: best student/staff collaboration, community outreach, and replicability. Please note the Harvard Heroes awards are for staff only. Student team project and faculty nominations will be considered as part of the bi-annual Harvard Green Carpet Awards.
We look forward to highlighting our Sustainability Harvard Heroes on our website and celebrating with the community on June 13.
HOW TO NOMINATE A COWORKER FOR EXCELLENCE IN SUSTAINABILITY
Examples of meritorious work in sustainability include:
- Commitment to changing the way we work and live by voluntarily taking on additional duties and leadership roles to reduce Harvard’s environmental footprint
- Creating more efficient processes that conserve resources
- Building community through active Green Team participation
- Guiding co-workers through Green Office certification
- Managing and hosting environmentally-conscious events
- Educating and inspiring co-workers
- Dedication to living and working in a more environmentally sustainable way
Want to get an idea of some of the award-winning accomplishments from past years? Check out the Green Carpet winners from 2010, 2011 and 2012 for some great examples.