Harvard University will be on winter recess from December 22 through January 1. We'll be back with more sustainable tips, news and information on January 2, 2013. Best wishes for a safe and happy holiday season from all of us at OFS!
Before you leave be sure to help us conserve energy by shutting down. Here's our Green Tip reminder for how to turn off before you take off.
While we're away keep yourself busy with our hit list of top stories from 2012 (and let us know if we missed any):
- Harvard releases its first ever Sustainability Impact Report.
- The largest solar project at Harvard goes online on the roof of the Gordon Indoor Track and Tennis Center.
- The student REP program celebrated its 10 year anniversary of peer-to-peer outreach and education to undergrads.
- Massachusetts Green High Performance Computing Center opens, supporting Harvard's cutting edge research with a super efficient computing center.
- Harvard University Dining Services launches sustainable seafood initiative.
- 46 Blackstone receives its second LEED Platinum certfication, earning it the 2012 Innovation in Green Design Award from the USGBC MA Chapter.
- The HSCRB Department launches a first-ever lab-oriented environmental competition aimed at reducing energy, conserving resources and sparking innovative efficiency ideas.
- Harvard University Housing launches comprehensive sustainability outreach program for tenants.
- Longwood campus launches styrofoam recycling program in its labs.
- Two living walls installed on campus to create healthier work and learning space.
- Harvard achieves a record 75 LEED certifications and over 2.5 million square feet of LEED certified space on campus. FAS receives its 25th LEED certficiation.
- Harvard supports expansion of Hubway bike share into Cambridge.
- OFS hosts the second Harvard Thinks Green event featuring six all star faculty speaking about their big green ideas.
- Countaway Community Garden launches on Longwood campus and herbal medicine podcast is created by community members.
- Harvard Kennedy School campus goes 100% smoke free.
- E-Waste recycling and collection is expanded across campus.
- Harvard Law School wins Go Green Award from City of Cambridge and recovers most compost ever.
- Alumnus Lester Brown receives first-ever Distinguished Service Award at the third annual Green Carpet Awards. Rob Gogan and Professor Abernathy receive Special Achievement Awards.
- And last but certainly not least...students build the world's largest cardboard box fort, in part to highlight waste reduction and reuse of cardboard boxes during move-in and move-out.