Download the Leaf Three PowerPoint, and get your office started on action items.
Download the Leaf Three Checklist, complete with cover letter and signature page. NOTE: The checklist document is in process. To download resources mentioned in the checklist, use the links below.
Download the Green Office tracking spreadsheet to help measure your workplace's progress toward the next leaf.
- We use power strips as central turn-off points in our individual work stations and switch them off each night. Power strips can be acquired by contacting IT services at your School/unit. [Audit Reminder Cards]
- Microwaves, coffee makers, and other small appliances are unplugged at night or are programmed to shut off through a timer. [Exit Door Prompts]
- In our office, department, or building we have at least one recycling collection bin for small electronic waste: CFLs, CDs, audio tapes, batteries, cell phones, pagers, PDAs, and inkjet printer cartridges. This collection area has been publicized and signs exist explaining what can be recycled here. If our office uses Harvard Recycling, we contacted Rob Gogan, Supervisor of FMO Recycling and Solid Waste Removal, to obtain a labeled “Batteries Plus” bucket for small electronic waste if necessary [617-495-3042 or email@example.com]
- We bring our large electronic waste (computers, laptops, printers, A/V, office phones, etc.) to IT services or the A/V provider for our area so that it may be recycled properly by Harvard Recycling (if they are our provider).
- If our building is not cleaned by FMO or connected to Harvard Recycling, we contacted our building manager to discuss best practices for recycling these above items.
- We reduce paper margins in order to decrease the length of documents we may print. [Reducing Margins Fact Sheet]
EVENTS AND MEETINGS
- In our kitchen or break room we have reusable mugs, dishware, and silverware for staff and visitor use.
- At our events and meetings we reduce waste by using the following in bulk containers: sugar, salt, condiments, and beverages (including water).
- We use paper that contains at least 50 percent recycled content. [Recycled Paper Fact Sheet]
- As part of our effort to use recycled office supplies beyond computer paper, we use other paper products with 30 percent recycled content, including envelopes and post-it notes.
- We include information about our office/departmental environmental policies and goals in hire packets for all new staff. We also include Harvard’s commitment to reduce its greenhouse gas emissions in our hiring information.
- Someone in our office is a part of a departmental or School-wide Green Team.