Download the Green Office Introductory PowerPoint, and give your office an overview of the program.
Download the Leaf One PowerPoint, and get your office started on action items.
Download the Leaf One Checklist, complete with cover letter and signature page. NOTE: The checklist document is in process. To download resources mentioned in the checklist, use the links below.
Download the Green Office tracking spreadsheet to help measure your workplace's progress toward the next leaf.
- We shut off our monitors and/or manually send our computers into energy-saving modes (standby or hibernate) when not in use and turn them off at night. [Windows or Mac]
- As backup, we enabled the Office for Sustainability's (OFS) recommended power management settings on our computers. [Windows or Mac]. If changing these settings requires administrative rights, we’ve contacted our IT group for assistance.
- We have sleep mode enabled on all copiers and all printers after five minutes or more of inactivity. [Canon ImageRunner] [Exit Door Prompts]
- All lights are turned off when not in use during the day and at night, including in common areas such as kitchens, conference rooms, storage closets, and bathrooms. We have posted prompts on light switches, where applicable. [Light Switch Prompts]
- We send, or will send, an e-mail to our staff before holidays and breaks containing an energy saving checklist. [Example Checklist]
- There are recycling bins in all common areas where trash bins are present, such as in kitchens, break rooms, conference rooms, mail rooms, and copy rooms. [Suggested Bins]
- In our office, recycling signs are clearly posted on or near recycling bins. [Recycling & Trash Signs]
- We spent several minutes reviewing proper recycling practices at a recent staff meeting to ensure that all members of our office are aware of the rules and had their questions answered.
- We provide recycling bins at events and meetings sponsored by our office.
- When we need to dispose of office furniture and equipment, we contact Facilities/Operations to see if it can be salvaged and reused elsewhere.
- We print or copy to both sides of a page whenever possible. Double-siding is set as a default on our office computers [Windows and Mac], and we placed a visual prompt on our copy machine to remind members of our office to double-side whenever possible. [Copy Machine Prompts]
- In order to save paper when printing and copying, we reuse paper that has text on only one side whenever appropriate. We keep a scrap paper pile near our printer and/or copier.
- We use inter-office instead of regular envelopes whenever possible and promote the redistribution of inter-office envelopes in our office or department.
- If we publish a newsletter, we offer an electronic version that readers can select instead of the paper version.
EVENTS AND MEETINGS
- Before events and meetings we send an e-mail reminding attendees to bring mugs or reusable cups if beverages will be served.
- Members of our office feel that there are adequate bike racks for staff near our buildings. If not, we contacted Facilities/Operations at our School/unit to see if relocating existing bike racks or obtaining new racks is a possibility.
KITCHENS AND BREAK ROOMS
- If we supply paper products to staff in our break room or kitchen, we purchase napkins and paper towels with at least 30 percent recycled content. [Green Kitchens Fact Sheet]
- For printing and copying, our office only uses paper containing at least 30 percent recycled content. [Recycled Paper Fact Sheet ]
- Before we purchase office furniture, such as file cabinets, desks, etc., we check to see if Facilities/Operations have any surplus in stock or can obtain any.
- Before purchasing new furniture we consider more sustainable furniture options. [Green Furniture Fact Sheet]
- If we must purchase new (or used) appliances and equipment (printers, copiers, microwaves, etc.), we only purchase Energy Star or EPEAT certified models. (If purchasing through UIS, note that these options are now marked in UIS catalogs.)
- If a Green Team exists in our School/unit, someone from our department is an active member. Members of our office know they may contact this person with ideas, questions, and comments regarding Harvard sustainability initiatives. If not, we have considered starting one. [Green Team Startup Guide]
- Our office participated in (or will participate in) the Harvard Sustainability Pledge.
- Our group or office receives a monthly Green Tip e-mail from the Office for Sustainability and displays the Green Tip poster on an office bulletin board or other prominent spot. [Email Sign Up / Poster]