Student Sustainability Grants are now open. Apply today for up to $5,000 of seed funding for your project. Applications due Friday, October 18. Grants awarded November 5, 2013.
The Harvard Student Sustainability Grant Program provides seed funding to graduate and undergraduate students/student groups for environmental projects that contribute to Harvard’s campus sustainability goals. Areas of sustainable focus include: energy reduction, waste and resource reduction, community awareness, health, and research to inform policy.
The Office for Sustainability will be holding three information sesions over the course of September and October. This is a great opportunity to get feedback on your proposal, connect to faculty or staff who could assist in your project, and ask general questions.
Complete Your Student Grant Application here.
- Learn more about the 2013 and past student sustainability grant recipients.
Applications will be reviewed by a selection committee comprised of Faculty, students, and staff and evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Measurable impact on Harvard’s energy use, waste reduction, water use, etc
- Cost savings resulting from resource conservation
- Innovation and creativity
- Visibility and replicability
- Educational value
- Quality of work plan
- Harvard graduate and undergraduate students are eligible to apply.
- Administrators/facilities and operations must approve all project proposals from students in their Schools.
- Projects associated with programs run by OFS are eligible (ex: Resource Efficiency (REP), Green Living (GLP).
- Individuals or teams can apply. Teams must designate one main contact for the application.
- Staff and Faculty can be involved in partnership with students in project proposals.
- Funding will be provided at the time of project implementation.
- Projects spanning more than one academic year must include a plan for continuity.
- Awarded funding typically ranges from $500- $5,000; however, larger grant requests will be considered.
Sample Project Ideas:
- Behavior change projects
- Harvard Community Garden
- Small renewable projects
- Energy reduction in labs
- Projects with your School’s green team
- Vermiculture in dorms
- Life Cycle Assessment of products
- Online Green Tours
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call (617-495-1080)